As the hot August night wore on in the attic of the old house, she decided she couldn’t take it anymore.
It was growing more stifling by the minute and in the claustrophobic space made of rough boards, there was a squeaking sound of scurrying mice somewhere in the dark corners and moving across the floor. (more…)
SCOTT FEIERSTEIN, RED SWEATSHIRT PHOTOGRAPHY | From left, Donnamarie Barnes of Sylvester Manor, Henry Maxwell Letcher II, Shane Weeks, Karl Schwarz and Georgette Grier-Key during the February 25 panel discussion at Bay Street Theater in honor of Black History Month.
Sylvester Manor Educational Farm held its fourth annual celebration of Black History Month on February 25, combining forces with the Eastville Community Historical Society (ECHS) of Sag Harbor for a panel discussion that explored music and culture. The program, held at Bay Street Theater in Sag Harbor, entitled “Lift Every Voice: A Celebration of Music, Culture and Tradition,” also included performances and a reception. (more…)
COURTESY PHOTO The Horsford Girls ca. 1872. Clockwise from top left: Mary, Kate, Gertrude, Cornelia, Lilian Horsford, taken in Cambridge Mass.
Stories abound at the manor of visible — and not-so-visible — female residents.
The voices of women are easily lost to history. Deeds, lawsuits and business interests are the documents of men and what are most often found in archives when one is doing historical research. (more…)
Augustus Johnson (aboveO was born in Sag Harbor in 1872. The Johnson family lived on Hampton Street in Eastville in a house called ‘The Ivy Cottage.’ Part of the tintype collection was found in the cottage nailed to the floor boards in the late 1970s. Augustus worked as a handyman and he lost his arm in a work accident. The portrait is a type of photograph called a cabinet card and was taken by photographer William G. Howard in his Sag Harbor studio. (Courtesy: Eastville Community Historical Society).
Back in the 1970s, Sag Harbor’s Greg Therriault was refinishing the floor of a small house he owned on Hampton Road called “The Ivy Cottage” when he discovered a series of small, metal rectangular objects nailed to the floorboards. (more…)