Featured Story
09/09/16 2:00pm
LIBRARY OF CONGRESS Shown in a brochure photo, the Manhanset House ­— which opened in 1874 on the bluff just east of Locust Point and was expanded after an 1896 fire — was destroyed when lighting struck and it burned to ashes just weeks before it was to open for the 1910 season, leaving unmoored its colony of cottages that eventually became the Village of Dering Harbor.

LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
The Manhanset House ­— which opened in 1874 on the bluff just east of Locust Point — was destroyed when lighting struck and it burned to ashes in 1910, leaving a colony of cottages that eventually became the Village of Dering Harbor.

One hundred years ago, on September 9, 1916, a clerk with flawless penmanship recorded in a leather-bound poll book the names of 10 incorporators — seven men and three women, most of them of significant social standing — who brought into being New York State’s smallest municipality, the Village of Dering Harbor. (more…)

Featured Story
08/15/16 12:04pm

 

CAROL GALLIGAN PHOTO

CAROL GALLIGAN PHOTO

Donald F. McCarthy Sr.

Don McCarthy, 80, of Shelter Island, passed on August 1, 2016. (more…)