Rig up your poles kids, because the Annual Shelter Island Snapper Derby is back!
This Saturday, September 1, kids can fish Island-wide on beaches and bridges to compete in the categories of Biggest Snapper, Biggest Bluefish and the Most Released.
Participants receive a T-shirt, food, popcorn, cotton candy and a bottle of water free of charge. They can also paint a sign to compete to have their artwork appear on next year’s Derby T-shirts.
The weigh-in is at 5 p.m. at the Shelter Island American Legion where chefs will cook kids’ fish if they wish. Painted signs must be brought to the weigh-in.
– All blue fishing must take place west of Gardiners Island.
– Kids can fish the entire day.
– Participants can keep only one fish, the rest should be released.
– Be honest in the catch and release competition.
– Fish in clear water. If there’s a Red Tide, no fishing is allowed.
Art competition rules:
– Pick up a blank 4’x4’ board at Binder Pools located just north of the Medical Center on Route 114.
– Remember parents, have a good time with your kids but they have to paint the design.
– Remember to paint your name on the back of the board so that the selection committee will know who to call at the awards ceremony.
– Voting is done by the Snapper Committee.