JO ANN KIRKLAND PHOTO | Dering Harbor Village Hall.
Village of Dering Harbor Trustee Mary Walker announced her resignation in a letter read by Mayor Tim Hogue at the village Board of Trustees meeting on Feburary 20. Ms. Walker, who has served on the board for many years, cited scheduling conflicts as a reason for giving up her position, the mayor said. The board appointed John Colby to fill the remainder of her term. (more…)
REPORTER FILE PHOTO | Supervisor Jim Dougherty has joined other local Long Island officials pressing the governor for state money for infrastructure repairs.
Elected leaders from across Suffolk are demanding more state funding to help repair roads severely damaged during a cold and snowy winter. (more…)
REPORTER FILE PHOTO | Highway Superintendent Jay Card Jr. gave a report on the Island’s roads to the Town Board Tuesday.
The Highway Department did a professionally sound job clearing Island roads of snow during the brutal winter, and stayed within budget to get it done.
But now, “Our worst days are ahead of us,” Highway Superintendent Jay Card Jr. told the Town Board at its work session Tuesday. Mr. Card was referring to repairing the roads after the destruction winter imposed on them. (more…)
REPORTER FILE PHOTO | Highway Superintendent Jay Card Jr. was in Albany last week with more than 600 other highway officials.
Something’s amiss with Governor Andrew Cuomo’s math.
At least that’s how Shelter Island Highway Superintendent Jay Card Jr. sees it. While the state maintains only 13 percent of roadways and bridges in New York and local municipalities are responsible for the other 87 percent, that’s not how Albany allocates money. (more…)
REPORTER FILE PHOTO | The Dering Harbor Board of Village Trustees met on August 16.
Mayor Tim Hogue had just a few items on his agenda for a brief, sparsely attended meeting of the Village of Dering Harbor Board of Trustees on Saturday morning, August 16. (more…)