09/24/16 3:00pm
RICHARD LOMUSCIO PHOTO | Hoot Sherman and Mary-Faith Westervelt, Shelter Island Community Housing committee members, stopped by the Presbyterian Church on September 16 to talk to seniors about housing opportunities on the Island.

RICHARD LOMUSCIO PHOTO | Hoot Sherman and Mary-Faith Westervelt, Shelter Island Community Housing committee members, stopped by the Presbyterian Church on September 16 to talk to seniors about housing opportunities on the Island.

While having a very nutritious lunch at the Presbyterian Church last  Friday, I had the opportunity to speak with Shelter Island Community Housing committee members former Town Supervisor Hoot Sherman and Town Justice Mary-Faith Westervelt. (more…)

09/23/16 2:00pm
CHARITY ROBEY PHOTO | For this recipe I used ‘Carmen’ sweet peppers grown at Sylvester Manor Educational Farm.

CHARITY ROBEY PHOTO | For this recipe I used ‘Carmen’ sweet peppers grown at Sylvester Manor Educational Farm.

When the sweet peppers ripen in the fall, figuring out how to cook them becomes a moral question. Everywhere I look there are baskets of beautiful, inexpensive bell peppers, Carmens, Cubanelles and Anaheims. Will I stash them in the refrigerator, only to find them turned to mush days later, or will I stand up and do what needs to be done?

(more…)

09/22/16 2:00pm
MAGGIE HIGBY PHOTO | Kurt Erickson, Sylvester Manor’s Vegetable Field Manager, sowing winter rye and hairy vetch seed in the Windmill Field. September, 2015.

MAGGIE HIGBY PHOTO | Kurt Erickson, Sylvester Manor’s Vegetable Field Manager, sowing winter rye and hairy vetch seed in the Windmill Field, September, 2015. Sylvester Manor will host a hands-on seed saving workshop on September 24, 2015. The workshop is cosponsored by Shelter Island Library.

SAVING SEEDS

Did you know that the Shelter Island Library and Sylvester Manor Educational Farm cosponsor an heirloom Seed Library? A seed saving workshop will be held at Sylvester Manor Educational Farm on Saturday, September 24 from 11 a.m. to noon. Join Sylvester Manor farmers as they demonstrate how to save and share your seeds in this hands-on workshop, and take some flower and vegetable seeds home for your own garden. For more information, call Jocelyn Ozolins, adult services librarian, at (631) 749-0042 extension 107. (more…)

09/20/16 4:30pm
The East End Maritime Festival runs this weekend, Sept. 23, 24 and 25. (Credit: Katharine Schroeder)

The East End Maritime Festival runs this weekend, Sept. 23, 24 and 25. (Credit: Katharine Schroeder)

The 27th annual East End Maritime Festival comes to Greenport this weekend.

The three-day festival kicks off with the Land and Sea Gala at Greenport Yacht and Ship Building on Carpenter Street on Friday Sept. 23.

The Merry Folk Parade kicks off the first full day of the festival and introduces its grand marshal, Captain David Berson. It steps off at 11 a.m. and travels along Greenport’s Front and Main streets.

The festival features music, entertainment, kayak races, fair vendors, lighthouse tours and more. The event drew more than 30,000 people to the village in 2015. (more…)