03/23/17 4:30pm

COURTESY PHOTO | The classic dodgeball.

COURTESY PHOTO | The classic dodgeball.

You’ve seen the movie, you’ve played the game, and perhaps you’ve even nursed the wounds.

Now it’s time to get back out onto the court and work through all those unresolved playground issues.

Yes, we’re talking about dodgeball, a game which, just like Red Rover, has separated the sensitive from the psychotic for generations, turning many a well-adjusted elementary-age student into a damaged adult. (more…)

03/23/17 2:00pm
Peter Waldner's poster of the cast of 'Curtains' which will be presented by the Shelter Island School Drama Club March 30 to April 2.

Peter Waldner’s poster of the cast of ‘Curtains’ which will be presented by the Shelter Island School Drama Club March 30 to April 2.

LET’S PUT ON A MUSICAL! 

It’s time, once again, for the Shelter Island School Drama Club’s annual musical. This year it’s “Curtains,” a comedic whodunit with a book by Rupert Holmes, lyrics by Fred Ebb, and music by John Kander.

The storyline of “Curtains” follows members of a 1950s theater company as they try to stage a campy musical western  while a murderer is roaming loose among them. A detective, who just happens to be a secret thespian, enters to solve the murders — but he can’t help himself from directing the musical and falling hopelessly in love with one of the company’s actresses. (more…)

03/23/17 8:00am
CAROL GALLIGAN PHOTO | A planter in the corner of my balcony and the poor little crocuses trying their best. Most likely doomed!

CAROL GALLIGAN PHOTO | A planter in the corner of my balcony and the poor little crocuses trying their best. Most likely doomed!

If this is supposed to be spring, my inclination is to rewrap it and return it to sender, marked “Damaged in transit.” No resemblance to what I ordered.

However, history tells us that the famous Blizzard of ’88 (that’s 1888, not 1988) was in the second week of March, so we’re right on the mark, time wise, to be miserable. Fifty-five inches of snow fell then and 400 people died between Washington D.C. and Maine, if you can believe Google, so I guess we shouldn’t complain too much. Although to be honest, I like to complain and firmly believe it’s good for you, as in forget that “stiff upper lip” stuff. (more…)

03/22/17 2:00pm
ELEANOR P. LABROZZI PHOTO | Heather and Pete performing in concert on a recent Friday night at the American Legion.

ELEANOR P. LABROZZI PHOTO | Heather and Pete performing in concert on a recent Friday night at the American Legion.

Musicians Heather and Pete will perform live on Friday, March 24 at the American Legion Hall on Shelter Island. The music begins at 7 p.m. and runs until 9 p.m. on the lower level of the Legion Hall. Admission is free and bar and food service will be available. (more…)