11/19/14 1:59pm
COURTESY PHOTO | A new book of poetry is dedicated to a worthy cause.

COURTESY PHOTO | A new book of poetry is dedicated to a worthy cause.

November is National Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month and two poets, Islander Virginia Walker and Michael Walsh of Rocky Point, both active in East End poetry workshops, have pledged their new book, “Neuron Mirror,” to help fight pancreatic cancer. (more…)

11/19/14 12:00pm
BEVERLEA WALZ PHOTO | Hay Beach Author Chuck Olton with

BEVERLEA WALZ PHOTO |
Hay Beach Author Chuck Olton with Brenda Bergman and Mollie Strugats.

Chuck Olton, author of ‘Heroic Vision: A Story of Revolutionary Art and Politics,’ shared his expertise last week on history and geology as it relates to the American Revolution at the Women’s Community Club.

He told of how in 1776, British soldiers and sailors harvested the hay crop to feed New York-bound horses where the king’s army defeated Washington’s army at the Battle of Brooklyn Heights. Mollie Strugats introduced Mr. Olton and pointed to the location of her home on Hay Beach. Brenda Bergman is in the background.

11/18/14 4:20pm
COURTESY PHOTO Mike Zisser’s artwork from the Shelter Island Poetry Project’s ‘Goldengrove Unleaving: Poems for Fall and Beyond.’

COURTESY PHOTO
Mike Zisser’s artwork from the Shelter Island Poetry Project’s ‘Goldengrove Unleaving: Poems for Fall and Beyond.’

Six veterans of the Shelter Island Poetry Project — Forrest Compton, Carol Galligan, Stephen Gessner, Georgia Griffis, Kathleen Minder and Maryann Moderelli — will be at the Shelter Island Library on Friday, November 21 at 7 p.m. with readings that usher out the Project’s sixth season: “Goldengrove Unleaving: Poems for Fall … and Beyond.” (more…)

11/14/14 12:00pm

COURTESY PHOTO |

COURTESY PHOTO |

My kitchen is filled with gadgets that I use a few times and forget about. One handy gadget that has become a “must have” is my spiral slicer-cutter, which almost sounds like something out of the classic “I Love Lucy” episode where Lucy and Ethel demonstrate that they have no sales resistance. When it comes to the spiral slicer-cutter, which is affordable at around $34 and easily found on Amazon (I use the Paderno brand), you won’t want to have sales resistance. (more…)