05/11/15 8:58am
JO ANN KIRKLAND PHOTO | Newly named Shelter Island Public Library Director Terry Lucas having coffee and conversation at Stars Café one morning last week.

JO ANN KIRKLAND PHOTO |
Newly named Shelter Island Public Library Director Terry Lucas having coffee and conversation at Stars Café one morning last week.

The Shelter Island community is invited to meet the library’s new director, Terry Z. Lucas, at an informal reception today, Monday May 11, from 5 to 6 pm in the library’s community room.

Te library’s board and staff invite everyone   share some light refreshments with Ms. Lucas and the library’s Board of Trustees.

05/11/15 8:00am

COURTESY PHOTO

COURTESY PHOTO

Back in the 1940s, motion pictures reigned supreme as America’s most popular form of art and entertainment. Although a brand new medium called television was edging onto the cultural landscape, it would not become a dominant force until the next decade. (more…)

05/10/15 11:00am
JO ANN KIRKLAND PHOTO | Columnist Richard Lomuscio

JO ANN KIRKLAND PHOTO | Columnist Richard Lomuscio

We certainly have one great library here on this little Island. The offerings for senior citizens are extensive and varied. I had the opportunity to speak with the new director, Terry Lucas, last Saturday. I was checking out some new fiction when I figured I would try to get the answer to a question. (more…)

05/10/15 8:00am
Danny DeVito and Bette Midler in ‘Ruthless People.’

Danny DeVito and Bette Midler in ‘Ruthless People.’

We will show the comedy, “Ruthless People,” next Wednesday, May 13 at 2:30 p.m. at the Senior Activity Center.

In the movie, Sam Stone, an aptly named meanie, is played by Danny DeVito. Sam is married to Barbara, played by Bette Midler, who is a little spoiled by the rich life provided by her philandering husband. (more…)

05/09/15 4:00pm
REPORTER FILE PHOTO Two poets to read Friday night at the Library.

REPORTER FILE PHOTO Two poets to read Friday night at the Library.

Two poets, Islander Virginia Walker and Michael Walsh of Rocky Point, will read from their book, “Neuron Mirror,” at Friday Night Dialogues at the Library on May 15 at 7 p.m. Their talk was rescheduled from its original date in March, due to icy winter weather. (more…)