07/17/17 2:00pm
REPORTER FILE PHOTO

REPORTER FILE PHOTO

The experts agree, this is a banner year for tick populations on the East End. And with ticks comes not just Lyme Disease, but a whole host of tick borne ailments and illnesses such as babesiosis, ehrlichiosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and the alpha-gal red meat allergy, which comes specifically from the Lone Star Tick. (more…)

07/17/17 12:00pm
CAROL GALLIGAN PHOTO | These are tuberous begonias, happy in my shaded window boxes. They’re wonderful plants, come in many colors and have only one drawback – they’re subject to blight, and the more humid the weather, the greater the risk. This can be forestalled by spraying with an anti-fungicide, but you have to remember to do it.

CAROL GALLIGAN PHOTO | These are tuberous begonias, happy in my shaded window boxes. They’re wonderful plants, come in many colors and have only one drawback – they’re subject to blight, and the more humid the weather, the greater the risk. This can be forestalled by spraying with an anti-fungicide, but you have to remember to do it.

Today’s subject, my fellow gardeners, is compromise; having just sent in my bulb order for this fall and having great difficulty paying the exorbitant amount required for the 100 bulbs I wanted passionately, I was forced to compromise, and I did. Although it was painful. But to begin at the beginning … (more…)

07/15/17 11:00am
CAITLIN PANARELLA PHOTO

CAITLIN PANARELLA PHOTO

I made a point of attending the library fundraiser under the tent last Friday evening. What a treat!

It was billed as “Suds and Song” and featured folksinger Caroline Doctorow on guitar along with two other musicians. There were times when the audience could join in the singing. (more…)

07/14/17 2:00pm
BEVERLEA WALZ PHOTO | The group of pets and their owners.

BEVERLEA WALZ PHOTO | The group of pets and their owners.

On Saturday, July 8th, approximately 40 dogs arrived at the park across from Our Lady of the Isle Church with their owners/companions to be blessed by Father Peter DeSanctis. He commented on how happy and calm the pets were and said that the pets pick up on and respond to the atmosphere in the home. (more…)