04/10/15 1:08pm
COURTESY IMAGE

COURTESY IMAGE

Karen Brush, second vice president of the Garden Club of Shelter Island announced on April 8: “The Garden Club of Shelter Island has regretfully cancelled our Daffodil Show at the Ram’s Head on Saturday, April 18 due to the severity of the winter and dearth of flowers or even buds. We are exploring having a Daffodil Exhibition at a later date.

“The Garden Club welcomes new members interested in any or all aspects of gardening, conservation, horticulture and flower arranging and design. Come to a program and learn more. Our next public lecture will be on Ikebana: The Art of Japanese Flower Arranging  on Wednesday, May 13 at 12:30 p.m. at St Mary’s Parish Hall. The program is free.”

04/10/15 12:00pm

RICHARD LOMUSCIO PHOTO |Lunchtime at the Dinner Bell

RICHARD LOMUSCIO PHOTO | Lunchtime at the Dinner Bell

It’s the best kept secret on the Island. That’s how I felt after my first Dinner Bell luncheon at the Presbyterian  Church last Friday.

The program is funded by SCOFA (Suffolk County Office for the Aging), NYSOFA (New York State Office for the Aging) and the Town of Shelter Island. It is managed by Karin Bennett, who prepares the meals with help from her staff, Diane Anderson and Angela Corbett. They are assisted by a host of volunteers. (more…)

04/09/15 4:30pm
COURTESY PHOTO

COURTESY PHOTO

Miles Franklin was only 16 when she wrote her debut novel, “My Brilliant Career.” Despite her youth, critics praised the work as “glistening with precocious wisdom.” Set in the 1890s in misogynist rural Australia, the novel was withdrawn from publication shortly after its release. But it was re-published in 1966 and has never since been out of print.

The 1979 movie adaptation, if anything, expanded the novel’s popularity. It also launched two additional remarkable careers: It was Gillian Armstrong’s (“Little Women”) directorial debut and Judy Davis’ (“A Passage to India”) break-out performance as a major movie star. (more…)