06/23/16 2:00pm
JULIE LANE PHOTO Fred Ogar will be among exhibitors at the Shelter Island Historical Society’s Antique and Classic Car Show on Saturday, June 25.

JULIE LANE PHOTO  |  Fred Ogar will be an  exhibitor at the Shelter Island Historical Society’s Antique and Classic Car Show on Saturday, June 25.

This Week

COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY

Commencement exercises for the
Shelter Island High School graduating class of 2016 will be held on Saturday, June 25 at 2 p.m.  (more…)

06/22/16 4:30pm
ELEANOR P. LABROZZI PHOTO Water stations were just one part of a community effort at last Satruday’s 10K Run.

ELEANOR P. LABROZZI PHOTO Water stations were just one part of a community effort at last Satruday’s 10K Run.

It’s just a run, I told myself.

I shook out my hands, hoping to lessen the tension building in my shoulders. The cheering, the bright colors of running shoes and the intense sunlight also seemed to be building, as the time before the opening gun of Saturday’s Shelter Island’s 10K trickled down at Wilson’s Circle in the Center. (more…)

06/21/16 4:30pm
COURTESY PHOTO | With local blue claw crabs readily available, why not turn them into crab cakes?

COURTESY PHOTO | With local blue claw crabs readily available, why not turn them into crab cakes?

One of the best things about summers on Shelter Island is the increasing number of places where you can get terrific, locally sourced food. If you don’t feel like cooking, there are several excellent restaurants that serve delicious dishes, using the absolute best ingredients they can find. If, though, you’ve got the time, inclination and just a little skill, you can put out a fine meal with almost everything obtained right here!   (more…)