07/22/15 12:00pm
COURTESY PHOTO Ice cream making the old fashioned way is a popular activity for Shelter Island’s Time Travelers. Members of the Shepherd family demonstrate how it works.

COURTESY PHOTO
Ice cream making the old fashioned way is a popular activity for Shelter Island’s Time Travelers. Members of the Shepherd family demonstrate how it works.

If you’re between the ages of 6 and 11, you’re among the lucky, eligible to participate in the Shelter Island Historical Society’s Third Annual Time Travelers program, one that adults have been clamoring to join. (more…)

07/20/15 11:40am
REPORTER FILE PHOTO The time for July 24's Friday Night Dialogues at the library has been changed.

REPORTER FILE PHOTO The time for July 24’s Friday Night Dialogues at the library has been changed.

Friday Night Dialogues at the Library, July 24, featuring Dr. George P. Dempsey, a member of the Tick-Borne Disease Resource Center at Southampton Hospital,  in a program about Lyme and other tick-borne diseases. Time has been changed from 7 to 6:30 p.m.

07/19/15 8:00am
JO ANN KIRKLAND PHOTO Reed Farrel Coleman signed a copy of his book for book lovers at the Mystery Authors Panel on July 6 under the tent at the Shelter Island Library.

JO ANN KIRKLAND PHOTO
Reed Farrel Coleman signed a copy of his book for book lovers at the Mystery Authors Panel on July 6 under the tent at the Shelter Island Library.

On July 6, I attended the Mystery Authors Panel under the tent at the Shelter Island Library. I was reminded of the writers conference I attended at Southampton College in the summer of 1978. Two weeks of authors speaking about their craft. (more…)